In this article, we take a look at 10 interesting facts you may never have known about The West African Examinations Council (WAEC), West Africa’s most prestigious examinations body.
According to Wikipedia, The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) is an examination board established by law to determine the examinations required in the public interest in the English-speaking West African countries, to conduct the examinations and to award certificates comparable to those of equivalent examining authorities internationally. Established in 1952, the council has contributed to education in Anglophonic countries of West Africa (Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and the Gambia), with the number of examinations they have coordinated, and certificates they have issued. They also formed an endowment fund, to contribute to the education in West Africa, through lectures, and aid to those who cannot afford education.
1. WAEC was established in 1952 and serves the following Anglophonic countries of West Africa: Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and the Gambia.
2. The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) is an examination board that conducts the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for universities in five West African countries and the Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB)which is an entrance examination board for tertiary-level institutions in Nigeria.
3. The council conducts the following four different categories of examinations:
4. WAEC conducts examination in West Africa on behalf of the following international examination bodies.
5. WAEC also coordinates examinations in collaboration with the following examination bodies:
6. Candidates are required to enter and sit for a minimum of 6 core subjects which include the following:
7. In addition to the above, every student must take and sit for two or three of the subjects listed below that are not already offered as core subjects
8. The West African Senior School Certificate (WASSC) is conducted twice a year, May-June and November-December.
9. WAEC Grading Scale is as follows:
B2 Very good
10. The West African Senior School Certificates Examination certificates are issued only once.